01 October 2009

Bucovina Monasteries

I'm in Guernsey after several action-packed days. I don't have time to post about Italy and France right now, but here are some pictures from one of the painted monasteries I visited in Romania. Better posting when things slow down!

[We visited four monasteries--Humor, Voronet, Moldovita, and Sucevita. They were all built between 1488 and 1601, and they are stunning with their top to bottom paintings.]

Sucevita Monastery Exterior

Nuns at Sucevita Trading Candy

Monastery Detail

I love the representation of cherubim (the red, winged figure in the middle) in this painting style. We also saw them in Meteora.

I think this graffiti is really fascinating, because some of it's dated 1890. People have always been jerks.

This tree is at Sucevita and it was covered in bees. I think it suits the monastery. It looks very Biblical to me.

5 comments:

Johan said...

Hello from Holland

Ann-Marie said...

How is Guernsey?

Rebekah said...

Shmammit, shmammit, shmammit. This is why I haven't heard from you lately. You've changed your blog. I knew that, I knew that. I'm a moron. I have so much to catch up on, but no worries, I'll be feeling jealous of you in no time flat.

ldsjaneite said...

Oh Guernsey!! Have you met your own Dawsey?

MBC said...

Ann-Marie--Guernsey is lovely. You should have come.

Rebekah--Aaah, at last you've found me.

Heidi--We do not speak of such things on the blog.