24 July 2009

Bath Skyline

I'm supposed to be meeting the Coordinatrix for Evensong at Bath Abbey right now, but my jeans are covered in mud, so I've decided I'm not fit for a church service. I just spent four hours hiking the Bath Skyline Trail with its beautiful views of the city and paths that lead through fields and woods and, once, a cow pasture that was not mentioned in my leaflet and where I tried not to make eye contact with the giant cows who were (seriously) at least twice as big as the sweet Swiss cows we made friends with in Lucerne. Cows can trample you right to death. I got lost about four times but only once was it a frightening I'm-going-to-die-alone-in-Bathampton-Woods kind of lost.


Bath is a World Heritage site because of buildings like the Royal Crescent AND because of the way the town's set into the natural landscape. It's beautiful. Too bad I'm a bad photographer with a mediocre camera so you can't really see it.








This part of the trail goes through a farm (several sections did), but these sheep wouldn't give me the time of day. Further along this path, I had to walk THROUGH the pasture with the horses. Big horses.




This is Sham Castle. It's just a wall built by Ralph Allen in the 1760s to improve the view from his property and give local stonemasons work.


This is the view as I was descending the Skyline Trail back into the city.


I hope this video isn't freaky. I can't view it before posting it (or after posting it). I took it near the beginning of the Trail.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop going out there all by yourself!Love,Dad

Alice said...

Nice video. Look at you being all techie! It was nice to hear your voice all the way from across the pond! What a pretty place you are in! LOVE IT!

MBC said...

I was perfectly safe!

Alice--I just got to watch the video. You totally can't see Bath! So sad.

Alice said...

The beautiful pictures totally make up for any lack in your video. It is hard to be a videographer in the rain! I am also glad your are safe. It is a dad's job to worry! :)

stephicat said...

Its all so very pretty. Its making me very excited for Wales.

EP said...

The photos and video are wonderful, rain and all. And I agree with Alice, it was wonderful hearing your voice.

ldsjaneite said...

Bath in the rain? Very Persuasion. Very. And walking outside of Bath? Very Northanger Abbey. Oh...your posts, pictures, and videos are making my little Austen heart so happy. And we don't want any Willoughbys. Colonel Brandons? Yes! Henry Tilneys would be best. Couldn't tell he's my favorite, could you? :-)