14 July 2009

Visiting the Dead in Paris

The Coordinatrix and AandA went to Versailles with our tour group this afternoon, so after our city tour (a very interesting tour, since even more roads than expected were closed for the July 14th holiday), I headed out on my own. First, I found myself a bakery and purchased pain chocolat to fortify myself (ordered and paid for entirely in my bad French). Then I navigated myself to Cimetière du Père-Lachaise. Many famous people, including Chopin, Balzac, and Bizet (all of whom I accidentally wandered into) are buried there and it is an absolutely huge and beautiful cemetery. One of the things I found most striking about the cemetery was how much like a city it appears. From certain angles, the sepulchres look just like rows of houses, with beautifully decorated doors and stained glass windows on avenues lined with trees. On our tour, we've heard and seen so much about Napoleon's body parts being put on display and the body parts of saints being put on display that I periodically turn to the Coordinatrix and say, "Make a note: I don't want any of my body parts exhibited after my death." However, I wouldn't mind a nice little cemetery house. Here are some examples:



This one looks just like a shrine in a church. There's a painting on the back wall. Many also featured mosaics and gothic ornamentation. Very fancy.

I like the weeping women.

This is a man holding a face. I tried to find a name and dates, but the rest of the tomb just had some French about how the inhabitant had gone to a better place. Creepyfabulous.


This is a common symbol on graves signifying that time is fleeting. There are lots of great examples in Boston's cemeteries too. I love them.



This is one of the door designs I liked.

Tonight I think we're going to brave the crowds at the Eiffel Tower to see the fireworks.

6 comments:

Alice said...

I sure do love a good cemetery! Glad you found a nice one to enjoy!

CSIowa said...

Remember that all the walking done by a tourist in Paris justifies eating any number of pains au chocolat. I personally ate four in one day while in Montreal a few years back. It was the best I could do at the time.

Amy said...

Did you run into my friend with Chopin the cat?

eliana said...

The creepy head holding one has potential for my future...

ldsjaneite said...

I love that time is fleeting symbol. It's fantastic! Did your companions get to see the fountains on at Versailles? I have never heard of anyone being able to see them, and it was one of the main reasons I went out there for it. Such a disappointment. I would have loved to see this cemetery. Go you for braving Paris crowds on their independence day!

MBC said...

Amy--No! I was really hoping to see crazy cat man, but there were just some videotaping Spaniards at Chopin's grave.

Heidi--No, the fountains were off, so my friends didn't see them.