22 July 2009

Photos of Bath

Bath is beautiful and all but it rained all day yesterday and the day before which does not show Bath at its best. Almost all the buildings in Bath are made (or at least fronted) with white Bath stone. It glistens in the sun and turns dark and dreary in the rain. The sun came out right before I stepped into this Internet cafe (super-hip, jazz-playing Internet cafe), so I hope I'm not missing our one hour of sunshine this week.

The Royal Crescent


The Circus (a circle of row house built by John Wood)


Ironworks outside a rowhouse. These were used to snuff out the torches that link bearers carried in front of sedan chairs back in the day.



Unattractive picture of me walking into town from our flat.



Assembly Rooms (I don't know how I made the chandeliers glow like that, but I like it.)

Bath Abbey - This is a statue of Peter that was beheaded by iconoclasts. Instead of attaching a new head, they just carved a head out of his huge beard. He looks odd. Especially compared to the statue on the other side of the door.



My favorite detail on Bath Abbey--angels climbing the building. The bishop who had the abbey built had a dream about God sitting in heaven and angels ascending and descending ladders. His dream is carved on the front of the abbey.

Yesterday I ditched the Coordinatrix and AandA and visited the botanical gardens in the Royal Victoria Park. I had the gardens almost entirely to myself because of the rain. Beautiful!









This last photo is actually from the gardens in front of the Royal Crescent. Love the cabbage roses.

6 comments:

CSIowa said...

I agree that the angels are spectacular. Maybe I need to go to Bath . . .

EP said...

I love the angels, too. And your glowing chandeliers look like their out of a fairytale. I was at our local botanical gardens yesterday as well. It had rained but was still very busy. I would loved to have had it more to myself. What a treat you had!

EP said...

*Correction: "their" should be "they are" (I'm so embarrassed!)

Courtney said...

Yay! Pictures!

Ann-Marie said...

macro!

ldsjaneite said...

It's all so beautiful! Have you run into Captain Wentworth, yet? Or Henry Tilney?! :-)