23 July 2009

New Favorite Activities in Bath

1. Use the free wi-fi at the Pig and Fiddle. Well, it's not really free, because we buy ice cream or hot chocolate or sausages to keep from being free loaders. But they've got a great corner seat from which to eat the sausages and use the Internet. And there's a cat.



2. Walk past the Jane Austen Centre. There's always a guy out on the doorstep in Regency dress. And he's contractually obligated to smile and tip his hat as you go past. And then you feel an overwhelming urge to get your hands on a copy of the 2007 version of Persuasion so you can watch Rupert Penry-Jones woo someone in Bath. And then you cry because the DVDs here play in the UK but not in the US, so if you spent your 20 pounds on a copy of the movie, you could only watch it while you were in the UK and then you'd have to leave it behind. And you're too cheap for that.



3. Wander in parks. We discovered the back way into town along the Kennett and Avon canal today via the Sydney Gardens. So lovely. [I have pictures, but my camera just died so I'll add them later.]



4. Eat lunch near the Abbey and watch the buskers perform. Today there was a man in a pink bathing suit type get up riding a unicycle and juggling knives. He was very engaging. And the singers are nice too.

7 comments:

Marcene Perry said...

When you mentioned Bath in you last post I immediately thought of Persuasion. It has always been my favorite Jane Austen Novel! But I am partial to the 2000 version with Amanda Root and Ciran Hinds... She is so simply beautiful, and he does a wonderful job as Captain Wentworth. In fact I never knew there was a newer version. I must look into this and get back with you on my verdict!

SCS said...

Please please please tell me you have saved some bit of ephemera (napkin, coaster, fork, whatever) that says "Pig and Fiddle" on it.

MBC said...

MP--The new version is better. In fact, we decided it was worth the expense and bought it. watch it!

SCS--Have not yet but will.

ldsjaneite said...

I don't like the new Anne as much, but the new Wentworth--wonderful!!! But, come on-- half of Northanger Abbey is set there, too! And JJ Feild is so adorable!

Marcene Perry said...

Ok, I finally got the new version in the mail (love netflix!). So at first I wasn't all that into it. I kept thinking of Amanda Root as Anne (I think she did an amazing job). But the new one grew on me throughout the movie. I fell in love with it during the scene where she was running through Bath searching for Captain Wentworth. Great cinematography! And the music just completed it... So, now I must purchase it! I will always love the old version though, I think they delivered a more complete story.

Now, you must go find Rupert Penry-Jones and marry him!

Brooke S. said...

OH! How wonderful this all sounds!

april said...

We ran into the same problem after buying several DVDs in Germany, and ended up purchasing a "region-free" dvd player. It was definitely worth it!