20 August 2009

The Best of Greece


The view from above the theater in Delphi. The ruins below the theater (including the pillars) are the remains of the Temple of Apollo where the oracle actually did her thing. Apparently, she was high all the time and the priests interpreted her crazy-talk for the masses.



Meteora is a series of monasteries built on these amazing cliff tops. There are still 6 monasteries in operation. You can see one on top of the rock to the right.



Monastery on Meteora. The monasteries have chapels decorated floor to ceiling in Byzantine-style paintings. I like the cherubim.



Ruin from the museum at Olympia (?). Sometimes centaurs bite.



Love these guys. Also griffins. When I become a supervillain, I'm going to decorate my evil lair with them.



Snake sarcophagus.



Gyros with french fries as a topping. These people are geniuses.



Ezvones. Pretty sure that's the right spelling. These are the guards that stand vigil at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. On Sunday there's a big ceremony with a band that parades down the street in front of parliament for the changing of the guard. My grandparents lived in Greece and they had dolls of the guards. I liked the guards then. I like the guards now.



Periodically the guards march across the square.



Our hotel is just around the corner from the Acropolis. If I stand on the balcony, I can see the wall.

3 comments:

E said...

Oh how I love the gyros with the fries! But I have to admit, after looking at the snake sarcophagus and whatnot, my first thought upon seeing the gyro picture was "what kind of a tomb is that?"

eliana23 said...

Excellent summary! I want to be the Delphi Oracle...no one translates my mumbo jumbo for people. I hope you know that I am living through you. I appreciate your willingness to have adventure on my behalf.

ldsjaneite said...

The marching looks like dancing. Wow. And I'm quite humored by that centaur sculpture...and your comment. :-)