13 August 2009

Holy Island

On Monday we visited Holy Island, where the Lindisfarne Gospels originated.


Holy Island can only be accessed by a 2-mile causeway during low tide.



This is a statue of St. Aidan, one of the early monks on Holy Island. SAZ says she likes to believe he's holding a holy morel in his hand. I tossed a coin into that little well in front of his statue since I missed out on my wishes at the Trevi and Swan Fountains.


Near the water we found many old boats and many of these converted boat sheds. Cool, yeah?



This is a fuzzy picture of a wooden statue that I find absolutely fascinating in the parish church on Holy Island. It's really large and quite startling to encounter when walking in the door.

2 comments:

saz said...

no, no... it's clearly a morel mushroom that St Aidan holds aloft... observe: http://www.grayling-mi.com/morel2.jpg

MBC said...

Oh, you are so right. I'm clearly not a mushroom expert. Will revise post ASAP.