18 August 2009

Delphi

We're in Delphi, having wended our way around the Peloponnese yesterday. Greece requires a great deal of imagination to appreciate. This is how it goes:

1. We visit an archaeological site.
2. We view 2,500-year-old ruins.
3. A guide explains how the site was used and what the buildings were.
4. I think to myself, "Lots of rocks."

It IS impressive and some places, like Olympia, still have pillars and arches and Agamemnon's Tomb is VERY well-preserved and striking. It's hard for me to envision the civilization that was, though.

4 comments:

The Coordinatrix said...

It is amazing how much meaning can be crammed into one pile of rocks.

JAMES said...

The value of archaeology is questioned by an intelligent person...what is the point then, eh?

Amy said...

I always think archaeological ruins should be left to children, who have fantastic imaginations and can come up with even MORE meanings for a pile of rocks.

Also, have I mentioned lately how jealous I am of you and your trip?!

MBC said...

James--What they learn about the society is important, my looking at the location is not.