12 August 2009

My Favorite Part of Edinburgh Castle

The historical exhibit about the Honours, the Scottish crown jewels, is very good and takes approximately five billion years to peruse with all the crowds of people frantic to see the goods. So, I was there yesterday and a group of little Scottish boys (probably 9-years-old) came into the actual chamber with the jewels right after I did and had this conversation with the kilted guard who looked pained to be working there (imagine this all in a Scottish accent--it's better that way):

Little Boy: What's this? (bear in mind that the exhibit ABOUT the jewels and Stone of Scone that precedes the actual artifacts is VERY long)

Long-Suffering Guard: That's the Stone of Destiny.

Little Boy: Oh. (pause) Are there spirits in the castle?

Long-Suffering Guard: Don' know. None that I've seen.

Little Boy: Do you think the spirits come out at night?

Long-Suffering Guard: They could do.

Little Boy: And haunt people?

And that's when I escaped the jewel chamber, but I left deeply amused.

1 comment:

ldsjaneite said...

"They could do"--ha ha! Love it.